This week, the House of Representatives passed legislation strengthening pipeline safety standards in the Straits of Mackinac. The “Straits of Mackinac Safety, Protection, and Accountability” action plan seeks to:
- Improve reporting from pipeline operators to the State of Michigan.
- Increase the safety and security of utility lines that provide communities in northern Michigan and the Upper Peninsula with access to phone, cable, natural gas, oil and electricity.
- Clearly establish the Straits as a no-anchor zone.
- Require additional signs and buoys alerting boats not to use anchors in the Straits.
- Establish clear penalties for vessels that break maritime laws and jeopardize the safety of Michigan’s waterways.
- Provide added accountability and increased penalties for those responsible for negligence or criminal damage to public utilities.
- Protect people who report violations of maritime safety laws that threaten the Great Lakes.
The five-bill package will be sent to the Senate for consideration.
Michigan Legislative Consultants is a bipartisan lobbying firm based in Lansing, Michigan. Our team of lobbyists and procurement specialists provide a wide range of services for some of the most respected companies in America. For more on MLC, visit www.mlcmi.com or connect with us on LinkedIn and Twitter.