In order to keep Michigan a leader in mobility, a series of policy recommendations were announced. The Michigan Council on Future Mobility and Electrification released their annual report, containing 16 policy recommendations designed to help achieve the goals outlined in Governor Gretchen Whitmer’s MI Future Mobility Plan. The recommendations include:
- Transition and grow our mobility industry and workforce.
- Invest in bus rapid transit and spend $10 million to revive the state’s mobility challenges to solve for employment and equity barriers.
- Fund a public relations campaign to enhance MI’s sustainability leadership.
- Scale the Michigan EV Jobs Academy.
- Create a global center of excellence for responsible artificial intelligence.
- Provide safer, greener and more accessible transportation infrastructure
- Expand Michigan’s Alternative Fuel Corridor opportunities for clean hydrogen and commission a study on hydrogen applications in commercial traffic.
- Develop accessibility standards for EV chargers.
- Create a state EV consumer incentive.
- Fund a $45 million bus electrification program.
- Expand use of sinking funds to support electric school bus deployments.
- Support Phase Two of the MDOT work zone safety pilot program.
- Design a clean fuels standard that works for Michigan.
- Lead the world in mobility and electrification policy and innovation
- Invest $30 million into UAS technology development.
- Pass legislation to preserve Michigan’s uniform, statewide automated vehicle policy.
- Keep up the annual support for state mobility agencies’ capacity.
- Pass legislation to create a mobility research and development talent tax credit.
- Continue advocating to federal policymakers on important connected vehicle issues.
The council was created by Governor Whitmer in 2020 to bring together leaders from the automobility industry, research universities, clean fuels advocacy, and state government, to provide annual recommendations on state policy.
To read the full 2022 report, please click here.
Michigan Legislative Consultants is a bipartisan lobbying firm based in Lansing, Michigan. Our team of lobbyists and procurement specialists provide a wide range of services for some of the most respected companies in America. For more on MLC, visit www.mlcmi.com or connect with us on LinkedIn and Twitter.